Vacuuming properly is the easiest, most effective way to keep your carpet clean. Consistent vacuuming can also have the largest impact on the air you breathe, improving the air quality in your home.
To get the most out of your vacuuming, remember these tips:
- A quick vacuuming once-over doesn’t do as much cleaning. Slow and steady is key.
- When vacuuming, don’t ignore the corners and crevices where dust builds up.
- Top-down” cleaning saves the step of vacuuming again after dusting. First, dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture first and then vacuum away any fallen debris and dust.
- Remember to replace vacuum bags or empty canisters when they are half or two-thirds full.
The next question is how often should you vacuum?
As a rule, you should vacuum at least once a week with a quality vacuum. The more foot traffic you have, the more you will need to vacuum. The general rule of thumb is:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic or pet areas.
- Vacuum twice weekly in medium-traffic areas.
- Vacuum weekly in light-traffic areas, using attachments at carpet edges.